Wednesday 30 March 2016

Review: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas


Title: Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre: Fantasy
Warnings: blood, violence
Rating: 5 stars
Goodreads Review | Book Depository
I loved Throne of Glass, but considered myself a casual fan. Although Crown of Midnight seems to be a fan favourite, I didn't feel as engaged as I should have, hence why I never reviewed it. Heir of Fire took things in a new direction and pulled my interest back. But Queen of Shadows? Blew. My. Mind.


I was so sure I would be continuing my position as a casual fan for the first 50% of the book. It was not bad in the least, but just painfully slow. My recollection from events in the previous 3 books was poor, and it wasn't until part 2 that Maas reminded me just how incredible a writer she is.

Even those who disliked the latest Throne of Glass instalment can't deny it - Sarah J Maas' skill as a writer has developed enormously since book 1. I was shocked, I was frightened, I was a mix of so many feelings. The placement of this book in the YA section could not be any more mistaken, because this was an intense roller coaster.

And oh my goodness, the world building. I avoid high fantasy because I can never follow all of the layers and complexities of intertwining storylines, but Queen of Shadows never left me with that problem. I never had to read a page twice because of not understanding what happened. Maas' books are longer than I prefer, but so so concise that it's a wonder how she can get it all down. But she does, and it's brilliant.

I understand the complaints from the series being very different from how it started, because it's true. If you told me badass assassin Celaena Sardothien who had a hot temper and expensive taste in clothing crossed boarders and back and become an entirely new person, I wouldn't have believed you. But believe it, because she is here to stay.
As for her relationships, I have to say I never wanted Celaena with Dorian or Chaol, but I wish I could have a bit more of the original team together again. But the plot has taken them all in different places, and after the conclusion of Queen of Shadows I hope that some of that original friendship can be rekindled, even though I accept that it will never be the same again.

If you haven't read this series yet
1. What are you doing reading reviews for book 4? You'll spoil yourself!
2. Do it! *insert gif of Shia LaBeouf shouting 'just do it' here*

Seriously, you won't regret it. The Throne of Glass world is ever growing and changing, but in my view, it's for the better.
(I'm sorry for my babbling in this review - I wrote it on my phone the second I finished reading)

No comments:

Post a Comment