Wednesday 22 June 2016

Ms. Marvel, Vol 4 // so much better


Title: Ms. Marvel, Vol 4: Last Days
Writer: G. Willow Wilson
Artist: Adrian Alphona
Genre: Graphic Novel, Superheroes
Rating: 5 stars
Goodreads | Book Depository
Despite really not liking Volume 3, this volume might possibly be my favourite.

It's the end of the world. There's a giant planet in the sky and people are fearing the worst. Ms. Marvel is trying to keep the peace, but when she discovers her brother is kidnapped by her evil ex crush she realises that as a hero sometimes tough choices need to be made.

I know I complained about the unnecessary inclusion of other Marvel heroes, but I think Carol Danvers is a worthy exception. Like Wolverine in volume 2, she really aided the story and Kamala's development. Plus it was great to see that even in the face of doom Kamala is still prepared to totally freak out over meeting her all time biggest hero.

I looked into the Secret Wars storyline through a quick Wikipedia check (because I know nothing) and honestly it seems like a very pointless storyline. Despite this, it all seemed to work with this volume of Ms. Marvel. It worked perfectly with the strong family vibe with this story (which I loved).

All in all a really great volume that turned things around for me from volume 3. I'd quite like to see where Kamala's adventures take her next.
Diversity Note: Pakistani Muslim protagonist

No comments:

Post a Comment