Friday 14 October 2016

Classics Mini Reviews: Frankenstein and Madame Bovary

You may have noticed a lack of reviews on my blog lately. The primary reason: required reading. I love studying books from the past, but often I don't enjoy reviewing them as much as newer releases. It feels a little like writing a sparknotes summary or recapping what we've said in class, so it feels a little counter productive. Nevertheless, I am here today to give a handful of mini reviews for the books I have been studying.



Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - 5 stars
Warnings: death
I loved the dark atmosphere of this book and how it read like a cautionary tale. I feel like the horror of having your creation be so destructive has some super interesting religious subtext, and kind of provides a commentary on the awful side of humanity.

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert - 1 star
Warnings: death
If the author's goal was to make the reader feel as miserably bored as Emma, he was successful. I loathed this book. Literally nothing happened. It was all location and description of setting and emphasis on oh-how-bored Emma was with her life.

2 comments:

  1. I quite liked Frankenstein as well! Madame Bovary seems like a book I will never pick up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankenstein was so interesting - I kind of hate what Hollywood did to the story. Also Madame Bovary was miserable so I don't blame you!

      Delete