Tuesday 31 January 2017

Books/TV Shows I Wish Were Also Graphic Novels

Top 10 Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Today's topic was on favourite graphic novels or ones on my TBR, but since I haven't read so many (other than Paper Girls, Ms. Marvel and Nimona which I love) I thought I'd put a little spin on it.

Graphic novels are so unique in that you can do things with them that television or writing just can't put across. As much as I'd love to see the gorgeous artwork and my favourite characters brought to life, if these things were graphic novels I have to say I'd want a little more from them. I don't want them to be exactly the same as I imagined them - I want perspectives I could have never seen, characters that are a little more dynamic and ideas that could never be portrayed simply by the written word.

Some of these books and shows I'd want to just retell the same story in a different medium, with a few slight changes that would ultimately keep the story the same. But for others I want comic book continuations of them (like what was done with Buffy the Vampire Slayer). I want to see more of these characters continuing their lives from what I originally saw and growing, so I can see more of them as well as more of their worlds.


1. The Raven Cycle
The idea for this came from something Maggie Stiefvater was tweeted not so long ago. Honestly I can't believe the thought didn't hit me sooner - or anyone for that matter. Especially since my friend was reconstructing a whole scene from book 3 in artwork based on pure description in the book.
Perhaps I'm biased considering this series is everything to me, but I wish I could just see this aesthetic in every perspective possible. I can already visualise the faded colour scheme and the two page spreads of stunning scenery.


2. Person of Interest
This show is so outstandingly excellent that a graphic novel version would have to be nothing short of perfect.
My friend (the same friend as before - you should seriously check out her art) spent weeks going through some key episodes and putting the faces to paper. And if there was any question of how much POI trash we are, I have been attempting to plot a way for the series to continue as a graphic novel. I don't have the art skills let alone the slightest understanding of technology and AIs, but I do know how I'd want to pick up from where the show crushingly left off.


3. In The Flesh
I will never be over this show's cancellation. Ever. And since it's three years down the line it's probably safe to assume a TV continuation is unlikely to be picked up.
I spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I came to the conclusion that the only alternative continuation I'd be willing to accept is one through the medium of graphic novels. I know the writer of the show had written plans for the show to continue for a long time, and if those ideas were put to paper with good artwork and the show's faded colour scheme it would mean so much to me.


4. Throne of Glass - Cut out half the romance and amplify the action and I would be so on board for seeing this series as a graphic novel. Plus I'd love to see this world converted into art.
5. Chaos Walking - This series would without a doubt be complicated to put to artwork, but I have to admit I want to see someone attempt it and be successful because this would be one awesome comic book.
6. Demon Road - I didn't enjoy this book too much, but maybe the comedic elements and graphic violence would have been more compelling through artistic action scenes rather than the written word.
7. Carry On - This might be a stretch but I do love this book. I have to admit it would need quite a few changes, specifically more action and less of characters being in their heads, but I do think it could work really well.

8. This Savage Song - Not my favourite Schwab book, possibly because I didn't quite feel the setting. But if this brilliant concept was transformed into a graphic novel I can almost grantee I'd be obsessed.
9. The 100 - I love this show, and the scenery for it is so underrated. The title sequence from season 2 onwards is a stunning overview of this overturned world and I'd love to see that and the characters in art.
10. Six of Crows - I'm not sure if this series would work with all the characters being in their heads for much of the first book, but I think things could be wiggled around for it to work. Plus imagine those badass fight scenes.


What are your favourite graphic novels? Would you like to see any of these books or shows as graphic novels too? Are there any others you'd add to my list? 

13 comments:

  1. This is a great idea for today's post! I would love to see most of these as Graphic Novels!! *.*

    Yasmine @ Swissbookworm
    My Top Ten Comics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't want to make a list of graphic novels I've read because that'd only be 3, but also I didn't have enough on my TBR to make a list either, so I figured I'd do this instead!

      Delete
    2. You found a great way to compensate! :D

      Delete
  2. Gaaah, I would love so many of these to be graphic novels!

    I have actually been wanting a graphic novel series of The Raven Cycle for quite some time now. We might just get it one day?! I hope.

    Chaos Walking and This Savage Song would make for such kickass graphic novels.

    I already love Kevin Wada's illustrations for Six of Crows' characters so maybe he can be the illustrator for the graphic novel? One can dream...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Raven Cycle would be beyond perfect as a graphic novel series <3

      I agree that Chaos Walking and This Savage Song will be kickass - their concepts already have such a graphic novel vibe about them that I'd love to see how they'd turn out.

      Also Kevin Wada was exactly who I was thinking for as artist. His artwork is exactly how I imagine the characters and it's so beautiful. I will dream with you!

      Delete
  3. I love Six of Crows!
    I did not do a list today for myself, I asked my daughter if she wanted to help and list her favorite books!
    I never read a comic book.So The only ones I read were the VA and Percy Jackson graphic novels. But we did something a little different. Allyson added some comics she read on her list.
    Also check out our easy to enter Valentine's giveaway!



    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six of Crows is awesome :D
      Asking your daughter to list books is a super cute idea! Especially since you don't read comic books yourself. I'll be sure to check it out :)

      Delete
  4. Nice twist on the TTT topic this week!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-eleven-coffee-table.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carry On would be a great graphic novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! As much as I ADORE that book I'd be super open to the story being changed a little to fit the graphic novel style (even though normally with adaptations I wish they'd never change a thing).

      Delete
  6. The Raven Boys would make a great graphic novel! Love the twist on this week's topic :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/31/top-ten-tuesday-94/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't get enough TRC fan art, so a full graphic novel would be a dream come true. Thanks!

      Delete