Wednesday 1 February 2017

January Wrap Up // an okay-ish start to the reading year

2017 feels pretty crappy already considering I can't read the news without feeling miserable, so I was hoping to make up for it with some super good reads that I can be thinking about instead. And in the end the reads were... okay. I liked 2/4 of them, but I can't help wishing I could've kicked off the year with some 5 star reads. Having said that, there are a few book releases in the next couple of months that I am incredibly excited for, so here's to hoping my 'this book will be amazing' intuitions can be trusted!


Reading Wrap Up
  • The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden - DNF at 30% - So many people have said how atmospheric this book is but for me it had an utter lack of any magical essence. 
  • Nimona by Noelle Stevenson - 4 stars - This graphic novel was so funny and utterly lovable, with a perfect colour scheme to set the mood and an art style that suited the story.
  • History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera - 2 stars - History did not give me a good feeling. All the relationships were super toxic and harmful but played off as okay.
  • Solitaire by Alice Oseman - 3 stars - Not as good as Oseman's 2nd novel, Radio Silence, and it was a bit all over the place. But I found it pretty relatable and still enjoyed reading it.

TV Wrap Up
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer seasons 6 & 7 - I love this show and its characters so much. S6 was excellent, and although I didn't love S7, I feel it ended in the right way. I'll likely be starting the comic book continuations soon because I'm still very attached not ready to let go of my faves.
  • Angel seasons 1 & 2 - Angel deals with some darker themes than Buffy but it's so so funny. Angel himself was so punny, awkward and relatable. I was on board for the characters in S1, and although Angel was a bit of an ass for the first 14 episodes of S2, he did turn it back around.
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events season 1 - I needed something to binge watch when I was ill, and this was what my friend recommended (after shameing me because I had never read the books). I watched it all in one sitting and found it so enjoyable that I'm going to the library to borrow the series!
  • Please Like Me season 4 - This comdey keeps getting more real. I can't say this was my favourite season, but only because it was a lot emotionally. The portrayal of mental illness, relationships and loss is so raw and painful, but with a good blend of funny and delicious food to balance it out.


Post Wrap Up

How has your January reading been? Have you read any of the books I've read? What were your thoughts? Even better, what is your favourite read of this year so far? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment