Thursday 3 August 2017

July Wrap Up // a month of consistently good reads


July has been very consistent in terms of my reading. I read 5 books this month, which is just about average for me, although considering it's summer I was hoping to be reading more. Those five books were all YA Fantasy, which is to be expected, minus Meddling Kids which was Adult Horror/Fantasy. And to top that off, every book I read was either 3 or 4 stars. No new obsessions, but I did really enjoy all of them. Also from this month: I went to YALC! It was my second time going to this UK book convention, and I really enjoyed it despite being super antisocial (I think I recognised a few bloggers but I didn't want to be creepy and say hi). You can read about what I did in my YALC post which I linked at the bottom of this wrap up!


Reading Wrap Up


Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero - ★★★★☆
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Meddling Kids since I went into it with zero expectations. I seriously can't deal with horror or anything too dark, but I managed to love this creepy Scooby-Doo retelling and all of it's creepy twists.
The writing of DOSAB was gorgeous and the world and exploration of Karou's family was so fascinating to me, but the story ultimately didn't go in a direction that interested me. It continued to be beautifully written, but I didn't care for the romance.
I enjoyed this book much more the second time I read it, and gave it an extra star because I really connected with the characters emotionally. Turns out not being in a reading slump really helps! Still not my favourite of Schwab's books but it was good.


Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab - ★★★☆☆
Aaaaaa less good. I felt there was less character focus and I wanted to see more of August and Kate's friendship instead of the plot stuff which even in the first book felt really slow paced to me. Also I wasn't a fan of the poetry. But I cried at the ending.

Timekeeper by Tara Sim - ★★★★☆
This book is super cute. It doesn't have an amazing plot or super atmospheric writing. But the world is really unique and interesting and the romance was sweet and heartwarming and I still enjoyed it and want to see where it goes.


Post Wrap Up

What did you read this July? Did you have any favourites? Have you read any of the books I read or are any of them on your TBR? Tell me your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment