Thursday 17 August 2017

The Mid Year Book Freak Out Tag

August probably isn't when this book tag was meant to be completed, but it's close enough to mid-year that I'm doing it anyway! The Mid Year Book Freakout Tag was created by two booktubers (1, 2) and I was inspired to do it after Eve's post on Twist in the Taile.


1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2017
Whisper to Me by Nick Lake is my favourite standalone read of the year so far, which is really unexpected. Generally I'm not a fan of contemporaries or romances and this book is both. But it was also a lot more and I don't understand why it is so underrated.


2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2017
Nowhere Near You by Leah Thomas was as cute as it's predecessor and garunteed Because You'll Never Meet Me as one of my favourite series'. I really hope it isn't just a duology and that there is a third book, because there's so much more of these boys I want to see.


3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to
Now I Rise by Kiersten White is one of the many sequels I have still to read. I loved And I Darken and I'm kind of invested in Lada and Radu's messy sibling relationship and the politics of this story (which I am still surprised that I enjoyed). 


4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year
All the Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater isn't something I'm rediculously excited for or anything. Truthfully, there aren't that many books I'm eagerly anticipating for the rest of 2017, but I figure I need more Stiefvater books after enjoying TRC so much.


5. Biggest disappointment
I haven't really had a major disappointment with reading this year, mainly because I haven't set myself particularly high expectations for anything. But Dorothy Must Die somehow felt so short of my non-existent expectations that I DNFed it.


6. Biggest surprise
I really didn't know what to expect from Edgar Cantero's Meddling Kids, particuarly becuase I don't read or like horror. But it ended up being pretty great Scooby-Doo retelling with characters I didn't expect to become attached to and twists I didn't see coming.


7. Favourite new author (debut or new to you)
I'm kind of terrible with favourites and I find it pretty difficult to pick a favourite based on one book, but I guess I have to say Tara Sim. Her debut, Timekeeper, was really cute and I'm interested to see where the series goes, as well as look out for other things she writes.


8. Newest fictional crush
None! I don't really get crushes on book characrers. But I guess maybe Rhy from the Shades of Magic series if I really have to pick.


9. Newest favourite character
Also none! Again, I find picking favourites difficult. But I already considered all the characters from Because You'll Never Meet Me, Monsters of Verity and Shades of Magic as my children so I guess they are all my favourites.


10. Book that made you cry
Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab. I didn't even like the Monsters of Verity duology that much (which feels like blasphemy because I love Schwab's adult books). But for this duology I was 110% in it for the characters because they were tragic little kids.


11. Book that made you happy
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell - that's why I reread it! It was exam month and I didn't want to be reading new books and getting invested then losing sleep etc. So I figured I'd pick out a couple of light and happy books for easy exam-time reading.


12. Favourite book to film adaptation you saw this year
I haven't read the Hidden Figures book (I don't read a lot of nonfiction). I also don't watch a lot of movies. But the concept and history behind the film captured my interest and I had to see it. Also it stars Taraji P. Henson who I adore.


13. Favourite review you've written this year
I don't really have a favourite review. I guess I'll say Daughter of Smoke and Bone becuase it's a relitively recent review of mine, and I really like the header picture I took.


14. Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received)
I loved Radio Silence by Alice Oseman when I read it last year, but I'm not a fan of faces on covers (it's irrational, I know). But then I saw the simplistic beauty that was the US hardcover, and I had to buy it. I feel no shame.


15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
I try to be spontaneous with my reading choices so I try not to plan what I need to read during the year (other than uni stuff which I'm happily ignoring for the time being). But I do need to read Release by Patrick Ness because I have an eARC, and I'm looking forward to it.
GoodreadsBook Depository | Amazon UK



Have you participated in this tag? What would you put down for each category? Are any of these books on your TBR/have you read them already? If so, what were your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, Carry On made me so happy as well. I cannot wait for you to read now I Rise! I loved it so much. I agree with you on Dorothy Must Die, I was so excited for it but it wasn't great. Timekeeper sounds really great. This sounds like a really fun tag to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carry On is really sweet. It isn't perfect, but that's part of why I love it. I really hope I can get to reading Now I Rise soon because I was obsessed with And I Darken. Dorothy Must Die was one of those few books that irritate me so much so early that I can't bring myself to finish it. I'm glad you enjoyed this!

      Delete
    2. I finished Dorothy Must Die but the second one was such a pain to get through. I gave up after that. Now i Rise is so epic, I hope you love it as much as I did :D

      Delete