Friday 1 September 2017

August Wrap Up

My August reading hasn't been the best in terms of quantity. I was saying last month how I hoped to be reading more books this summer, but I wound up reading fewer in August than I probably have all year. What's worse is that for a lot of this month I had limited Internet, so I definitely expected to have read more. For #TheReadingQuest I thought I'd set my bar to 10 books this month so that I'd be motivated enough to reach at least 5, but perhaps the over-ambitious technique doesn't work for me. I think I'm going to cut back on the ambitious goal setting for the next month, and maybe I'll get to read a bit more of what I want before my required reading is required to be read.




Reading Wrap Up

Release by Patrick Ness - ★★★★★
I didn't expect to fall in love with this new Ness book. Even as one of my favourite authors, Release didn't sound like it was for me. But it ended up being so beautiful. It's about never belittling the strength of teenage emotion and the varying types of human relationships and how they are all so valuable. It felt very honest and real about what relationships are  - and the review I wrote for this is probably the review I'm proudest of.

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater - ★★☆☆☆
Aaaaa I tried, I'm sorry. I've actually tried to read The Scorpio Races twice before in the past few years, and it was only the audiobook that brought me to finish it, so I think it's safe to say that the book isn't for me. The slowness and inaction didn't work for me and although I appreciated some bits of the writing it felt like it was made simple statements unnecessarily complicated. I loved The Raven Cycle so I'm hoping I'll like some of Maggie's other books if I read them.

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera - ★★★★★
This DESTROYED me and I can't wait to reread it so it can destroy me again. I wasn't a fan of History is All You Left Me, but this? I connected to it and these characters so much. It's all about small braveries being valid and pure selflessness and the complex connectedness of life. My review was a little rambly with emotion but it's another review I'm proud of (am I getting better at this?). It made me cry and broke my heart and you should read it.


Post Wrap Up

What did you read this July? Did you have any favourites? Have you read any of the books I read or are any of them on your TBR? Tell me your thoughts!

8 comments:

  1. Aww, don't be too bummed about a low reading month. I mean, think about it this way, two-thirds of what your read were amazing 5 star reads! Both Release and They Both Die At The End sound incredible, I hope I get a chance to read them. Here's to a better reading month in September! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rekha! That's a great way to think about it, and those two reads were incredible, possibly even new favourites. I could not recommend them enough.

      Delete
  2. ahh i relate so much. i kinda got into a reading slump in august and didn't want to read at. all. i was also over-ambitious with my Reading Quest tbr, and i definitely am not going to end up finishing it lol. oh well.

    i'm so glad that you loved TBDATE!! the concept sound so freaking awesome, and i can't wait to read it at some point!

    this month, i read All the Crooked Saints by maggie stiefvater and LOVEDDD IT. the main character was amazing, and just the whole thing was so magical <3

    madeline @ reverie pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel exactly the same as you. This was my first reading challenge but I'm not entirely sure goal setting works for me when it comes to reading.

      TBDATE is EVERYTHING! It might be one of my favourite reads this year. I had no idea how special it would be, but weeks later and I'm still thinking about it and the characters out of the blue becuase I loved them that much. I'd highly recommend it and I hope you love it!

      I'm so looking forward to ATCS! The Raven Cycle is my favourite series and although The Scorpio Races wasn't for me, I'm hoping her next book is because it sounds utterly magical.

      Delete
  3. How have I not come across this before?!?

    I've just stalked your blog for a solid half hour (sorry!) and it is the most well laid-out book blog I've found. And so aesthetic. I don't know how you do it.

    Hope you're well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juliet! Haha it's cool - I stalk so many blogs for hours on end and feel no shame. Also thank you so much! I live for a cute #aesthetic and my blog didn't always look like this. I'm well - I hope you are too :D xx

      Delete
  4. Aah, I am so glad you enjoyed Release! I actually just reread it (only about 3 months after I first read it, oh well) and I do think it's one of my favourite books from this year. I haven't been able to get hold of They Both Die At the End yet, but I really hope to read it soon -- although I am a little worried it will destroy me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I know the feeling, I want to reread Release already too because it was indescribably special. It's probably one of my favourites of 2017 too, as is TBDATE. It will definitely destroy you (I was worried about that too - I have a very specific list of existential anxieties and this book covers about 6 of them) but I think it's worth it. If it destroys you, I hope it destroys you in the good way :)

      Delete