Friday 2 March 2018

February Wrap Up

The books I read this month were all fascinating looks into worlds of fantasy and science fiction. I didn't read all the books I had planned to in February, but that was to be expected. But what I did read was really engaging, and I enjoyed considering the boundaries of science fiction with the latter three books I read. Can dystopias, vampire stories, and tales of magic realism all be considered science fiction? Does the genre have limits or can it encompass everything? I'm not sure I have an answer to these questions yet, but they were interesting to consider.



My favourite book of the month had to be Ace of Shades, and although I felt let down by The Handmaid's Tale, I was pleasantly surprised by The Gilda Stories and The New Moon's Arms. I knew nothing about either book when getting into them, but I seriously enjoyed them. They are underrated gems and I'd highly recommend them if you haven't read them already. Plus they're super diverse!


Reading Wrap Up
Links will take you to my review of the books 😊

Post Wrap Up

What did you read this month? Did you have any favourites? Have you read any of the books I read or are any of them on your TBR? Tell me your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. I also read The Handmaid's Tale pretty recently, and honestly I thought it was going to be more brutal than it was? Which is why I put it off for so long. I've only watched some of the show, but already I can tell you that it is much more intense compared to the book!

    I've always viewed vampires and magical realism as sub-genres of fantasy. And then dystopias...more like their own genre? It's a fuzzy line haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you. I have to be in the right headspace for a book that deals with dark topics, which is partially why I put off The Handmaid's Tale for so long. But it totally lacked any emotional connection for me. I've heard the show is excellent but again I've got to prepare myself because I can't deal with things that are too dark. But thank you for the recommendation!

      I feel the same with vampires and magical realism being fantasy. I was surprised that my Science Fiction tutor put these books on the module, because they really didn't read like sci-fi to me. I feel like dystopias are their own genre too, but I do sometimes lump them with sci-fi because it seems closer than anything else. I think it was an attempt to get us to debate the boundaries of sci-fi! The line really is fuzzy!

      Delete
  2. I barely read anything last month because I was in a reading slump, but I feel like it's ending now! :D I really want to read the Handmaid's Tale, it seems to be a favorite for a lot of people!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your reading slump is ending! I know how much those suck. I didn't love The Handmaid's Tale but I am glad I read it. It's worth picking up, if only to figure out what all the hype is about!

      Delete